Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pumpkin update

We carved the pumpkin tonight. I'll post a picture when my camera-computer issue is resolved. E couldn't wait another day, so we did it tonight. It was very dramatic; I was being watched intensely the whole time. Given it was my first time, it went really well. It was not as hard as everyone on Facebook made it sound!

It's fun here because pumpkins are a rarity and Halloween still a novel concept. No one had seen the inside of a pumpkin before, so hands went inside and everyone got to take a look. I commented that the pumpkin's head was bigger than E's, and he held it up to see. Every time I carved another facial feature, everyone was excited. The grandmother was here and was fascinated. Tomorrow I will show them how to roast seeds and make pumpkin bread.

They named him Clementina, because of his color. He is sitting in the kitchen window sill right now, looking happy. I will take him to school with me on Monday to show the class.

3 comments:

  1. If they named him Clementina, he should be a she, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought, but who I am to argue with the mother here? Maybe it's a transgendered pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really nice pumpkin! I like Clemintina!

    ReplyDelete