Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Contento Meals

So tonight I was asked to take the boy to McDonald's for dinner, as a treat. As an American friend of mine said, kids eat amazing and fresh food here all the time, yet ironically fast food is a prize in a child's eyes. I've been to McDonald's (pronounced "Mc-Doh-nohd's" here) maybe five times in my life, and not since high school at a friend's house in the Jersey burbs. And as some of you New Yorkers know, they tend to attract a lot of loitering no-goods.

I went online to see what was considered the healthiest options and chose in advance.

Turns out the menu here is not what you'd find in the States. You can get a Caprese salad, for example, the cheese on the burgers was mozzarella, and the dressing on the side I got was olive oil and vinegar. You can still get McNuggets and fries (and E did, ordering for himself since the staff didn't speak English there, and I didn't have time to look up how to say, "No ice" and "Don't forget the toy" for him) but generally speaking, it's better for the arteries than in the States.

I like being in a country where men, even young men, turn around while waiting on line, see a child, smile warmly at him, and cup their hand around his cheek.

I'm not representing America well. I don't frequent fast food joints and I have never carved a pumpkin.

1 comment:

  1. The McDonalds in Montreal sells poutine, which I really like there. Ham and cheese sandwiches were sold in the Quebec McDonalds.

    When I go somewhere different, I like to visit the grocery stores and see what's sold there.

    ReplyDelete