Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sunday night in Venice

I was entering the apartment in Venice on Sunday when I sensed something. I looked up and there was the cutest cat peering at me from the next flight of stairs. It had a round face with gorgeous perfectly-round amber eyes that flashed like copper, and a very shiny black coat. "Hiiiii! Where did you come from?" I said, forgetting again that animals here don't understand English. It cocked its head at me and came down a few steps, then hurried back upstairs where I think it lived.

I went inside, ate something, took a power nap, and changed clothes. When I left to go out again, there it was, but this time it had ventured down to the steps by my door.

It came by to visit one more time before I left Venice. And I realized that a black cat had visited on none other than Halloween night. Perfect.

No other Halloween creatures were around that night, except for the ghosts of ghetto-dwellers past, whose presence I was already feeling......

No comments:

Post a Comment