Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Characters and Hams

I'm learning more about Berlusconi. People here feel about him the way a lot of us felt about Bush. And there are definite similarities. But he is a real character too. D said you never know what is going to come out of his mouth next, and no one says things like he does. Today he justified all his sexual encounters with teenage hookers by saying it was better to sleep with a lot of young girls than to be gay.

The mere fact that he is in his 70s and chooses 17-year-olds.....

He also controls a lot of the media here as well as other industries. Someone I met said he is like the bionic man and keeps having parts replaced. The news called him "age-defying".

D said in his youth he was an entertainer on cruises and that seems to be consistant with his personality. It reminded me of Reagan. One time in college I went to see "Bedtime for Bonzo", in which Reagan spends most of his time interacting with a chimp. My friend next to me kept saying, "This is the president of the United States. The president of the United States!"

I taught a few people here the term "ham", meaning someone who is a real character. They always think it is funny because here it would be calling someone a prosciutto.

No comments:

Post a Comment